[Announce] Samba 3.5.7, 3.4.12 and 3.3.15 Security Releases Available

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Mon Feb 28 06:35:38 MST 2011

Release Announcements
=====================

Samba 3.5.7, 3.4.12 and 3.3.15 are security releases in order to
address CVE-2011-0719.

o  CVE-2011-0719:
   All current released versions of Samba are vulnerable to
   a denial of service caused by memory corruption. Range
   checks on file descriptors being used in the FD_SET macro
   were not present allowing stack corruption. This can cause
   the Samba code to crash or to loop attempting to select
   on a bad file descriptor set.

   A connection to a file share, or a local account is needed
   to exploit this problem, either authenticated or unauthenticated
   (guest connection).

   Currently we do not believe this flaw is exploitable
   beyond a crash or causing the code to loop, but on the
   advice of our security reviewers we are releasing fixes
   in case an exploit is discovered at a later date.

Changes
-------

o   Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org>
    * BUG 7949: Fix DoS in Winbind and smbd with many file descriptors open.

joining the #samba-technical IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.

If you do report problems then please try to send high quality
feedback. If you don't provide vital information to help us track down
the problem then you will probably be ignored.  All bug reports should
be filed under the Samba corresponding product in the project's Bugzilla
database (https://bugzilla.samba.org/).

== Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
== The Samba Team

================
Download Details
================

The uncompressed tarballs and patch files have been signed
using GnuPG (ID 6568B7EA).  The source code can be downloaded
from:

        http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/

The release notes are available online at:

        http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/history/samba-3.5.7.html
        http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/history/samba-3.4.12.html
        http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/history/samba-3.3.15.html

Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis from

        http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
(https://bugzilla.samba.org/)

                        --Enjoy