Recycling directories and backup performance. Was: Re: rsync --link-dest won't link even if existing file is out of date (fwd)

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 19:35:27 MDT 2015

> Our backup procudures have provision for looking back at previous directories, but there is not much to be gained with recycled directories.  Without recycling, and after a failure, the latest available backup may not have much in it.

Just wanted to point out that LBackup has a number of checks in place to detect failures during a backup. If this happens, then that backup is not labeled as a successful snapshot.

At present, when the next snap shot is started, the previous incomplete snapshot(s) are not used as a link-dest source. As mentioned, this is something I have been looking at for a while. However, there are some edge cases which need to be handled carefully if you use incomplete backups as a link-dest source. I am sure these problems are all contractable, I have simply not spend enough time.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution.
http://www.lbackup.org