Modification time error

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Dec 31 11:50:12 MST 2014

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 2:34 AM, Ingo Brückl <ib at wupperonline.de> wrote:

> /tmp was actually on a tmpfs and no idea why this happens

Thanks for pointing that out.  I couldn't reproduce the issue until I ran
the tests on a tmpfs mount, and discovered that rsync is optimizing away a
utimensat() call if it thinks that the file already has the right time set
(which is just a comparison of the mtime integer seconds).  So, the faster
run on a tmpfs mount caused the initial rsync copy to not bother to set the
nanosecond time value on the newly created file.  I'll look into a fix for
this soon.