Protocol negotiation issue in rsync

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Tue Sep 24 20:43:51 CEST 2013

I was trying to use rsync to send files to a fileserver using an rssh
restricted server.

It refuses, saying that trying to override the shell with -e is forbidden. I
didn't type "-e".

When I look at the source, I see
         /* Checking the pre-negotiated value allows --protocol=29 override. */
         if (protocol_version >= 30) {
                 /* We make use of the -e option to let the server know about
                  * any pre-release protocol version && some behavior flags. */
                 argstr[x++] = 'e';

The server is using version 26 and probably doesn't support -e.s anyway.
Why is rsync ignoring the negotiated protocol version and sending unsupported
options ?

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)