Using rsync to just -resync permissions and ownership?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun May 19 13:09:49 MDT 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Carl Brewer <carl at bl.echidna.id.au> wrote:

> so --archive will overwrite permissions on files that it's not replacing?

Yes, but you need to be very sure that it doesn't overwrite changed files
that you wanted to keep.  For safety, you can use --backup along with
--backup-dir and check the backup files to see if anything was superseded
that shouldn't be.

However if I were wanting to just reset permissions, I'd use
the file-attr-restore perl script in the support directory.  It parses the
output of a find -ls run (which is generated on the host that has the good
permissions).  It does not try to fix up any xattrs or acls, though (if you
should need that).