--fake-super locally?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jul 19 15:29:44 MDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM, Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can I somehow use --fake-super or something similar to save the
> original ownership info to ACLs?

Sure, should work fine. Keep in mind that --fake-super affects both sides
of a local transfer unless you take steps to isolate the option.  From the
manpage for 3.0.x:

Since there is only one "side" in a local copy, this option affects both
the sending and receiving of files.  You’ll need to specify a copy using
"localhost" if you need to avoid this, possibly using the "lsh" shell
script (from the support directory) as a substitute for an actual remote
shell (see --rsh).  This option is overridden by both --super and
--no-super.

>From the manpage for 3.1.0 (note that -M (--remote-option) is also a diff
for 3.0.x):

For a local copy, this option affects both the source and the destination.
 If you wish a local copy to enable this option just for the destination
files, specify -M--fake-super.  If you wish a local copy to enable this
option just for the source files, combine --fake-super with -M--super.