Fwd: Re: need help with an rsync patch

Sherin A sherinmon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 11:30:36 MDT 2013

On Wednesday 14 August 2013 10:25 PM, Kevin Korb wrote:

 > As has been pointed out to you your problem is not hard links. Your
 > problem is the indiscriminate use of a root operation (a chown) during
 > the restoration process.
 >
 > You should be solving this by either:
 > A) backing up and restoring the original owner of the files (directly
 > or via --fake-super)
  This won't work ,

root at source [~]# id dom2inho
uid=507(dom2inho) gid=508(dom2inho) groups=508(dom2inho)
root at source[~]# rsync  -avp -e 'ssh ' --fake-super /home/dom2inho
backup at 10.0.0.10:/home/backup/
  In storage server ,
[root at dest dom2inho]# id backup
uid=505(backup) gid=506(backup) groups=506(backup)
[root at dest dom2inho]# pwd
/home/backup/dom2inho
[root at dest dom2inho]# ll -d /home/backup/dom2inho/shadow
--w------- 1 backup backup 1344 Aug 13 12:52
/home/backup/dom2inho/shadow   => not preserving  uids or gids
[root at da dom2inho]#

If I am doing something wrong please let  me know.

 > B) backing up each user's files and only their files.

I don't see an option in the rsync man to copy only  each users files ,
can  you please point me to  that option

Thanking you for your valuable time and help .