Problem rsyncing 450GB file to my NAS: 'connection unexpectedly closed'

rsyncml.frucade at spamgourmet.com rsyncml.frucade at spamgourmet.com
Sat Oct 13 06:03:06 MDT 2012

I can't believe it -- but I DO fiddle around with _wireshark_ to get my
_backup_ done. Strange age of the 21th century.

Ok - here is what I was able to observe: At first everything seems to be
fine. After handshake the rsyncd is continuously sending every 1.7s
packets to the client which the client immediately and silently ACKs.

This goes until some random point in time, where the rsyncd sends within
the same ms first a regular packet, then a new packet with the timeout
message and hangsup the connection. Duh!

Even with -vvvvv the logs do not really provide more helpful pointers. A
quick google search revealed, that really many others share the same
issue with huge files, though w/o a solution.

The directory contains only 5 files and I was able to obvserve a
continuous stream of packets, so probably its not about IO operations.
Maybe some kernel/socket/network stack issue?

I assume that at this point everybody, else is on this list is just as
puzzled and clueless as I am now?!

- Ben