vanilla rsync 3.0.9 hangs after transferring ~2000 files

Christian Iversen ci at meebox.net
Mon Nov 12 02:52:39 MST 2012

On 2012-11-09 02:55, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 04:40:55 PM, Christian Iversen wrote:
>> On 2012-11-02 17:12, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
>>> On 11/02/2012 08:33:13 AM, Christian Iversen wrote:
>>
>> Thank you very much for the reply. Have to say, I think it's a bit of
>> red alley / blind herring.
>>
>> Everything is over SSH (which means it's encrypted, and as thus,
>> appears
>> like random data). I have also tried with a without compression, no
>> difference. Also, it seems to hang after approx 2000 files each time,
>> which could hardly be because of the network.
>>
>> It's not that I don't want to debug it, but looking at megabytes upon
>> megabytes of encrypted SSH traffic is just not my idea of a good time
>> ;-)
>
> I'm thinking syn, ack, and rst.  You can learn a lot from a good
> rst.  :-)

I dumped the entire transmission until it stopped:

client:
http://ifile.dk/d/f12d6711-e623-4092-a50c-92bb96d67e5b/

server:
http://ifile.dk/d/659a775e-7f3c-45ca-a537-68d90503a5b4/

No RST when it hangs, but the server does seem to be recieving only
packages of size 52 bytes after some incorrect checksum near the end.
Any reason to be worried? :-)

--
De bedste hilsner,

Christian Iversen
Systemadministrator, Meebox.net

-------
Denne e-mail kan indeholde fortrolige
oplysninger. Er du ikke den rette modtager,
bedes du returnere og slette denne e-mail.
-------