Rsync like Time Machine

Greg Deback (rsync) greg.deb+rsync at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:55:42 MDT 2012

Hi,

As for the destination directory and the backup directory (--backup-dir),
rsync will create the missing subdirectory (one level below the existing
dir only), so yes for /<somedir-exists>/<newdir-with-date>, no
for /<somedir-exists>/<newdir-with-year>/<newdir-with-month> on january
1st... But if you want this dir to be a symlink, you can't.

Greg