rsync compares all files again and again

Elliot Wilen ewilen at mprinc.com
Fri Oct 14 12:37:13 MDT 2011

Thanks, somehow I'd convinced myself that when I did a -vv, I could see larger files taking longer to "compare" than smaller files. But this was probably when actual syncs of those files were going on. Retest shows you're right, of course.

Frank's idea seems to be valid, though: why not compare the mtimes of directories and skip comparing the mtimes & sizes of files in those directories which haven't changed?

Note 1: It looks like you'd still have to compare subdirs even if their parent dirs don't have a change in mtime.

Note 2: Frank mentioned ctime but I think mtime is what you need to look at.

Elliot Wilen
Network Administrator/Postmaster
MPR Associates, Inc.
2150 Shattuck Ave., Suite 800