Not all files copied

Mike Brown brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Mon Nov 14 11:40:50 MST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 01:15:49PM -0500, Kevin Korb wrote:
> There was more in there than just sudo or rsyncd.  In fact the FAQ
> advises against using sudo.

Ya, I saw that.  It suggested changed to ssh for root to get it.  The point
was that configuration of some sort was needed, no matter which method was
used.  Added the changes to the rsyncd.conf file was extremely easy.

> The main thing I wanted to show you was how to setup sshd to only allow
> root to log in via an ssh key and to restrict that ssh key to only being
> allowed to run rsync.  That is much easier and more secure than setting
> up rsyncd with uid=0

Once the files are copied, the rsync daemon will be disabled.  But, if I
were going to be using rsync consistantly over time, I would indeed fix up
ssh to do what is suggested.  For a one-time thing, never to be used again,
using the daemon and rsyncd.conf is a little easier :-)

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com | vidiot at vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign