IO error encountered, skipping file deletion - WTF?

travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org
Mon May 30 00:04:25 MDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 11:44:45AM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Tue 05 Apr 2011, travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org wrote:
> > Anyone know what this is supposed to mean?
> >
> > 366305 files to consider
> > IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
> >
> > I keep getting this, and so it refuses to delete any files from a mirror.
> >
> > But what is the supposed I/O error?
> >
> > Can we have it give us some kind of clue?
>
> It probably already does.

Really?  Where, exactly, since it's not in stderr/stdout?

> Unreadable files/directories (for e.g. permissions reasons, it doesn't
> have to be a hardware IO error) will cause this.

Okay, but which files/directories are the problem?

Note that I am running this as root, at least on the remote system, so it does not seem like it
could be on the target server.

However, "IO error" is fairly generic, and on an archive of 300,000
files, does not help me much.

If the error is local, it'd be nice if rsync used the standard perror to show the exact error,
and prefix it with the directory/filename.

If remote, perhaps the remote end should use perror and hte local side pick it up.

Could a dangling symlink cause this problem?

To answer the other question, no, it's not a rsync daemon.
--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
He who lives by the computer, dies by the computer.