files-from option requires dot .

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat May 7 14:04:38 MDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Felipe Alvarez <felipe.alvarez at gmail.com>wrote:

> This does work. Note the period `.' [after the colon].
>  rsync --files-from=list.txt -vrP felipe1982.com:. ./

OK, I'll get it right this time...  :-)

Normally rsync is lax about a empty arg getting dropped by the shell when
--server is in effect (it treats it as though "." had been received).  The
current --files-from code does not allow that arg to be lost, so the empty
remote arg after the hostname gets lost by the shell, and rsync complains.

I have fixed this in two ways in the git repo:

1. Rsync will now allow the trailing arg to be omitted with --server (it is
assume to be ".").

2. Rsync will now turn empty remote args into dot dirs, so that an older
rsync won't complain about the lost arg.

This latter change also fixes an unusual command such as this one:

rsync -avR host: host:dir/ /dest/

Before, the empty arg would get lost, and the request would just be for
"dir/".

(Note that the use of -s avoids the loss of an empty arg since the protected
args are not parsed by the shell.)