"Connection reset by peer" withing a rsyncd strace log

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Wed Mar 16 07:12:39 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-16 12:13:41 +0100, thomas veymont <thomas.veymont at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/3/15 Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org>:
> > On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM, thomas veymont <thomas.veymont at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> [receiver] io timeout after 60 seconds -- exiting
> >
> >  You should try a larger --timeout=N value, since 60 is too small for your
> > data.  Also, if the timeout is set in the rsyncd.conf file, make sure that
> > the client uses a matching --timeout option, or it won't cooperate in the
> > keep-alive work.
> > ..wayne..
> >

> thanks for your answer. We tried a timeout=600 on both client and server,
> but the problem still pops up, this way:
[...]

Having timing information (-tt) in the strace output would help a bit,
as well as parallel client and server straces. However, I guess that
there's an underlying network problem causing this, like a firewall
dropping a too old connection or something like that.  Thus, I'd
suggest to also do a tcpdump -i ethX -n -s0 -w rsync.pcap -C 5 port rsync

This should rotate the pcap files after ~ 5MB, only the very last one
(from client as well as from server) are really interesting.)

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:            http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html