meaning of rsync statistics figures

memo garcia mgarcia at cistrans.cl
Tue Jun 21 08:33:04 MDT 2011

Hi,

I don´t know if this is the palace top put my inquire, if is not, I
apologize and ask if someone can redirect me to the right place.

I’m using rsync as a backup system from my PC (windows) network using a
command like

rsync –av remotePath localPath

at the end of the process, rsync prints some summary statistics that I don’t
know what exactly means.

Sent 2742043 bytes  received 377885 bytes  271298.09 bytes/sec

Total size is 44016420050  speedup is 14108.15

Which is the meaning of all of this figures?

If I change the command to

rsync -avv remotePath localPath

there is an extra statistic that says

total: matches=0 hash_hits=0 false_alarms=0 data=152576

this last figure is the total size, in bytes, of the files sync’ed

Is it possible to get the size  of the files really transferred without
using the double ‘v’ argument?

Thanks in advance,

Guillermo García Sir

CIS Asociados Consultores en Transporte S.A.

Austria 2042 Providencia

Santiago de Chile

F: 56-2- 2051033  Fax: 56-2-2051029

www.cisconsultores.cl