Rsync 3.0.07

Chad.Franks at crowley.com Chad.Franks at crowley.com
Mon Feb 14 06:55:44 MST 2011

Got rsync daemon working, but I am trying to set some variables in the rsyncd.conf file:
here is my rsyncd.conf file:

use chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = *
log file = cygdrive/f/rsyncd.log
uid = 0
gid = 0

# Module definitions

[BackupArea]
path = /cygdrive/f/backup/test/%computerName% <---------- This is how I want it to work...
read only = false
transfer logging = yes

When I try to rsync I am getting this error:

@ERROR: chdir failed
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1506) [sen
der=3.0.7]

Rsync daemon log states:

02/10 16:57:32 [280] rsync: chdir /cygdrive/f/backup/test/%computerName% failed
: No such file or directory

here is what I read in the rsncd.conf documentation:
You may base the path's value off of an environment variable by surrounding the variable name with percent signs. You can even reference a variable that is set by rsync when the user connects. For example, this would use the authorizing user's name in the path:

    path = /home/%RSYNC_USER_NAME%

Any idea what this is not working?

Can we use dynamic modules?
Set global parameters?

I can do this outside of the rsync daemon.

Chad Franks
Engineer, Network Services
Crowley Maritime Corp.

Chad Franks