securing rsync backup solutions?

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:01:53 MST 2011

> - - laptop-to-server: the laptop tends to roam a lot, network conditions
> vary from place to place, and the rsync will be initiated manually, so
> it is likely to be a `push' operation, the ssh keys will definitely need
> to be encrypted and unlocked manually, but even with that security, I
> want to ensure the keys have the minimum level of access possible on the
> server - the laptop definitely shouldn't have a key for the root account

You may be interested in the approach listed at the following URL :
http://www.lbackup.org/synchronizing_disk_images_between_machines

Unfortunately, the URL above is aimed specifically towards Mac OS X systems. However, I am hopeful that there is a similar (band based) disk image system available for GNU/LINUX. If you find something like that then please let me know.

Using a virtual file system allows you to save permissions within the disk image and then push the changes within the disk image to a remote server without requiring root access to the remote server.

Finally, Kevin's comments regarding push and pull backups are worth keeping in mind.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution.
http://www.lbackup.org