--compare-dest apparently incompatible with --checksum or --size-only

Jesse Molina jesse at opendreams.net
Sat Dec 24 20:21:25 MST 2011

I am working with rsync on Debian, package version 3.0.9-1.

I am trying to use rsync --compare-dest to make a delta-copy of a directory.

In my case, the mtimes are all unreliable.  The data is the same, but
the times are all messed up and always will be.

I am trying to use --compare-dest with --checksum or --size-only and it
does not work.  All files are transferred and the delta copy output is
the same size as the local compared directory.

I would rather not use --size-only for obvious reasons (eh, 1, 0, what's
the difference?)

Example:

rsync -v -a --checksum --compare-dest=/original /modified delta-backup

I could use fdupes to build a list instead, but it would be nice if
rsync would would.

Please correct me, document if this is true, or fix it.

Other ideas?

--
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = jesse at opendreams.net