No subject

Phil Dobbin debian at horse-latitudes.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 15:23:28 MST 2011

Hi, all.

I'm new to rsync so please bear with me...

I'm trying to back-up to a remote host (rsync locally works fine) & keep
getting the below error messages. If I mount the remote host on my OS X
box (I'm attempting to back-up my Debian boxes) the operation flows
smoothly.

I've upgraded my rsync version to the same as the remote host, chmod'd
the permissions on the remote to 777 (I've changed them back when it
didn't succeed), Googled 'til my eyes started bleeding & emailed the
vendor numerous times who has tried his best but to no avail.

I'm obviously doing something dumb but for the life of me I can't figure
it out. Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Phil...

$ rsync -zav /home/phildobbin/
phildobbin at storage1.datastorageunit.com:/thinkcentre/
phildobbin at storage1.datastorageunit.com's password:
sending incremental file list
rsync: mkdir "/thinkcentre" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(595) [Receiver=3.0.7]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601)
[sender=3.0.7]
[Thu Dec 22 15:00:24 phildobbin at debian:~ ] $ rsync -zav /home/phildobbin
phildobbin at storage1.datastorageunit.com:/
phildobbin at storage1.datastorageunit.com's password:
sending incremental file list
phildobbin/
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/phildobbin" failed: Permission denied
(13)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
^Crsync error: unexplained error (code 130) at rsync.c(543)
[sender=3.0.7]