in/exclude[=] and multiple sources

Ken Gillett emailist at ukgb.net
Fri Aug 19 04:49:43 MDT 2011

Thanks for the response.

On 18 Aug 2011, at 20:14, Kevin Korb wrote:

> - --exclude=foo is equivalent to --exclude foo.  The quotes are needed if
> you need to protect something from shell escaping such as
> - --exclude='*.foo' or --exclude 'foo bar'.

I still think the docs should explain you can use either form.

Are there ANY situations when either form will NOT work?

> ... Each exclude
> applies to the root of each source.

So one can think of rsync working on each source in turn and applying all the include and exclude options to each source directory as it works on that source. That's what I already surmised so thanks for the confirmation.

Ken  G i l l e t t