rsync-3.0.8: problem with installing man pages when using seperate build dir

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Apr 28 17:48:16 MDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Heinz-Ado Arnolds
<arnolds at mpa-garching.mpg.de> wrote:
> there is a little problem when building rsync outside it's source dir with
> installing the man pages: they are not found and therefor not installed.

See the "man" target in the Makefile.  The *.1 & *.5 manpages are
generated files, so they need to be installed from the current dir,
not the srcdir.  However, the Makefile will fall-back to copying the
version from the srcdir if make deemed that it didn't need to update
the version it found in the srcdir.  Sadly, this only works if you
have yodl installed, as the "man" dependency for the "all" target is
removed when yodl2man is not found (which avoids generating an error
for those that don't care about a lack of yodl).  I've checked-in a
change that makes the srcdir-duplicating of the man pages happen even
for someone w/o yodl2man.

For existing rsync releases, the easiest solution is to install the
yodl package before building rsync.  An alternate solution is to use
"make man" (prior to "make install") if the *.1 & *.5 files in the
srcdir are recent enough to be used verbatim.