files not moved immediately to final destination from temp location after rsync returns with success

Tony Abernethy tony at servasoftware.com
Wed Apr 20 17:29:23 MDT 2011

OK, I'll bite.
With all file system designs, there is a tradeoff between speed and safety.
This tradeoff occurs at all levels where there might be something that buffers information.
Writing into the middle of a structure can be incredibly slow if everything is done safely.

Enter disk caches (Operating System, Disk controller, Disk itself)
Much much faster, BUT if mother nature pulls the plug, very weird things can happen.

Expect everything to be very non-informative about the strategy used.

With an SD card I would expect everything in the chain to NOT wait for the SD card to be finished.
Might even take a few minutes for the disk cache to be flushed to the SD card.
Makes no difference unless you pull the SD card prematurely
(or possibly in some cases actually look at what is actually on the card)