Backing up a stand alone system to a usb drive with rsync

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 15:07:54 MDT 2010

>> I have a stand alone system with two drives / and /home on one and /var
>> on the the other. I'd like to backup the complete system to a usb drive.
>> I've tried dd however since it copies over everything, even empty space
>> it didn't seem very practical since for instance root only has 10GiB out
>> of 70 used. Would rsync be a suitable application to use for this or
>> will it only work over a network?
>
> See http://edacval.wikidot.com/backup-whole-system-with-rsync

You may also be interested in Clonezilla : <http://clonezilla.org/>

One possible way of using both of these tools together would be to create a full backup using Clonezilla and then use rsync to frequent backups.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution.
http://www.lbackup.org

The Lucid central Christchurch data center in New Zealand was recently
affected by a by an earthquake. LBackup allowed services (including
the LBackup website) to be quickly be restored to new hardware.