Options to copy modified files

Rick Smith ricksmith.usenet at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 08:46:32 MDT 2010

We use rsync to copy files and directories from one server to the other.
What options should I give to rsync so that it only copies the modified
files? For example server1 may contain a dir which contains just one file
that has been modified, how do I get rsync to copy just that one file over?
I would like rsync to copy over the files which have been modified on the
server1 to server2.

This is the command I have been using from server2:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -a -A -h -u -p --progress --rsh=/usr/bin/rsh --rsync
-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync --exclude=/bin --exclude=/dev --exclude=/etc
--exclude=/export --ex

clude=/home --exclude=/lib --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/net --exclude=/opt
--exclude=/platform --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sbin --exclude=/system
--exclude=/tmp --exclude=

/usr --exclude=/var --exclude=/kernel --exclude=/devices --exclude=patches
--exclude=/cdrom root at 191.1.1.85:/ .