OSX and HFS+ filesystem compression

Kyle Lanclos lanclos at ucolick.org
Tue May 18 19:44:44 MDT 2010

Robert DuToit wrote:
> I have been reading about the HFS+ filesystem compression on Snow Leopard
> and how copying or cloning over system files with rsync and other tools
> results in them being expanded on destination. I was wondering if there
> was any thoughts on updating rsync to accommodate this? It is kind of a
> shame to the lose the benefits of the new compression.

Any compression that happens within the filesystem layer itself is not
visible to client applications. If you use any file copying tool to
synchronize a source and destination, and the source is on a compressed
filesystem, the solution to preserving the compression is to enable
compression on the destination filesystem.

--Kyle