rsync_xal_set failed : Operation not supported

Vincent Miszczak vmiszczak at ankama.com
Fri Aug 27 02:39:11 MDT 2010

Hi guys,

I have a question about this error.

It occurs for some files when I try to backup a file server running Samba on FreeBSD, using aHAXR rsync options.

The exact error is :

rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("****","user.SAMBA_PAI") failed: Operation not supported (95)

(stars are a real path I cannot provide)

The source file is located on a read-only mounted volume snapshot.

It appears rsync tries to modify the source for some reason, but this filesystem is mounted read-only.

I wonder why rsync try to modify the source ?
Is there any way to disable this behavior?

By advance, thanks.

(I'm running 3.0.5-1 Debian initiator and 3.0.7 FreeBSD receiver).

believed to be clean.