backup option

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 20:46:07 MDT 2010

> I am using rsync to backup files. Is it possible to specify an option
> not to delete files from backup directory if the files are deleted
> from source? In that way, I can always keep something I may or may not
> need in the backup disk, but remove it from a work computer.

As Alex mentioned the omitting the --delete option is the way to go.

However, you should keep in mind that (depending upon the rsync options you provide) if you update a file (within the source directory) the then older version of this file in the destination directory will be overwritten.

If you want to preserve old revisions of files, there are various rsync options which will allow various actions to be take place to the older versions which already exist in the destination directory.

Below is an example of what I am talking about with regards older versions being overwritten in the destination directory when using the --archive rsync option.

> $ mkdir 1 2
> $ ls
> 1 2
> $ touch 1/hello
> $ rsync -a 1 2
> $ echo "hello there" >> 1/hello
> $ rsync -a 1 2
> $ cd 2/1
> $ ls -a
> .     ..    hello
> $ cat hello
> hello there

You will notice that there is no copy of the original (blank) file only the more recent version which contains the "hello there" text.

If you check the rsync manual page and perform some www searches, you will find many options and approaches relating to what happens to updated files/directories when you run rsync.