HDB, a hard drive backup program

Benjamin R. Haskell rsync at benizi.com
Wed Aug 11 16:07:59 MDT 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org wrote:

> Hey all, I'm writing a tool:
>
> http://www.subspacefield.org/security/hdb/
>
> It is very similar in some ways to rsync, except it's meant for
> backing up locally to removable HDDs, and it keeps metadata around
> when the HDD is removed.
>
> I figured I'd ping people here to see if they are interested in
> participating in the brainstorming sessions.  I figure you know a lot
> more than me about this kind of stuff.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting "keeps metadata around when the HDD is
removed".  Isn't that part of most backup software?

If you haven't already, the Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) page
on Wikipedia[1] has a list of software that (probably) does this.  In
particular, at a former job of mine, we used Tivoli for backups.  It did
what you're stating (kept metadata about backups around even without the
backups).

--
Best,
Ben