feature request: "remote user is root, make remote owner is foo"

Brian Cuttler brian at wadsworth.org
Wed Aug 11 11:34:44 MDT 2010

Travis,

As a matter of principle, SOP, we don't like to ssh/rsync as root
and generally don't allow root ssh/rsync into a box. Better/safer
to move the security stuff to a lower powered user if you can.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:18:11AM -0700, travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org wrote:
> I often push files from my user account over SSH to my web server, and
> want them owned by www-user, which may not have a login shell, should
> never accept remote logins, and who may not have a ~/.ssh directory
> (and if it did, it would be under the wwwroot, ack!).
>
> Currently I push as root and then do a chmod, but isn't there a better
> way?  While I'm doing this, the files are temporarily unavailable, since
> they aren't readable by www-user as they exist on the local system.
> --
> A Weapon of Mass Construction
> My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature that your mail
> program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
> If you are a spammer, please email john at subspacefield.org to get blacklisted.

> --
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler at wadsworth.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.