IO error causing file deletion failure?

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 23:16:22 MDT 2010

> readlink_stat("/home/morgan/.gvfs")
> failed: Permission denied (13)

I believe the error above is a problem with the rsync user not being able to read the file
"/home/morgan/.gvfs". I suggest that you check the permissions on this file and also check that the sudo command is in fact granting root access.

It may also be worth testing the rsync locally. Initially, this should simplify your testing and may reveal the issue as simply a permissions problem.

> IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

This error suggests that the disk or some other hardware component has a problem. However, it may just be the permission error which is causing this error to show up.

I am not 100% with either of these errors. I am guessing. However, hopefully someone with more knowledge on this list will provide some confirmation or additional information to help you further.

With regards to the IO error described you may find the following threads of interest:

 - http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg02457.html
     (suggests that the IO errors are caused by the permission problem
     This could be true in your case)

 - http://tinyurl.com/lbackup-discussion-io-errors
     (If you find it is not permissions then this thread may be worth a look)

This email is protected by LBackup
http://www.lbackup.org