Device not configured (explanation)

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Apr 29 20:08:46 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 13:32 +1200, Henri Shustak wrote:
> > rsync: read
> > "/Volumes/Drobo_HD/lbackups/theserver.Homes/Section.0/Faculty/andrewmac/.DS_Store":
> >  Device not configured (6)
>
> I am curious to know if anyone else has seen this error on Mac OS X.
> In addition, is any one able to shed some light on what conditions may
> cause this error to occur?

As you might have guessed, that error is coming from the filesystem and
is not rsync's fault; copying the file with cp should have similar
chances of incurring the error.  The symbolic name for errno 6 is ENXIO,
and the Mac OS X read(2) man page documents two cases in which it
occurs:

     [ENXIO]            An action is requested of a device that does not exist..

     [ENXIO]            A requested action cannot be performed by the device.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/read.2.html

All I can guess is that there is something wrong with the destination
disk or filesystem.  You might search the web for `mac os x "device not
configured"' for more hints.

--
Matt