rsh not transparent or timing problem

Stefan Nehlsen sn at admin.ltsh.de
Wed Sep 23 05:07:51 MDT 2009

hello!

For preformance reasons I tried to replace ssh transport with an
old style rsh. In this case security is not a problem, because there
is a dedicated network (crosscable) between the two hosts.

While with ssh everything works just fine, there are problems when I use
rsh.

like that:

Invalid block length -1235276150 [sender]
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at io.c(1333) [sender=3.0.6]

It is not reproducable and it seems that the remote shell is not
transparent, but it maybe it can be a timing problem too.

rsync version 3.0.6 dies with errors while version 2.6.9 is hanging.

Does anybody else have problems with rsh?

Both systems have installed Ubuntu Linux 8.04

cu, Stefan