time variable throttling rsync traffic

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Sep 14 11:09:41 MDT 2009

On 9/14/2009 9:25 AM, Andrew Gideon wrote:

> So control is most effective at the sending rsync, which suggests that
> bwlimit is a good approach.  But the most information is available at the
> receiving router, suggesting that shaping at the router is also a good
> approach.
>
> Interesting.

Exactly what I meant by "suck in different ways including those we don't know
yet".  I think we have a couple of "low-cost options".  As we discussed on the
rsnapshot list, you could use the remote shell option to create a bandwidth
limited remote shell.  It's crude, it costs extra because of all the data
copying but it should be a relatively cheap way to assess whether or not bwlimit
modifications would be worthwhile.