strange log values in 3.1

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Sun Oct 25 19:26:03 MDT 2009

I've just got the log lines below. The first line shows the format
spec that prints each column:

   %'b          %'l       %f
0              18,760     f1
0              11,193     f2
32,768         2,186      f3
3,128,368      3,453,856  f4
13,680         11,786     f5
32,768         6,288      f6
0              6,498      f7
0              6,346      f8
0              6,570      f9
32,768         18,010     f10
0              6,282      f11
0              6,386      f12
0              872        f13
32,768         43,395     f14
15,440         9,920      f15
0              4,575      f16
11,584         1,435      f17
41,992         51,326     f18
49,232         49,918     f19
10,778         4,545      f20
0              1,078      f21
384,526        389,645    f22

All files are new. What I find strange is that I'd expect the
transfered bytes to be somewhat larger than the file sizes, like in f4
and f22 above. However there's sometimes a big difference, with the
net transfer being much larger. See for example f3, f6, f15. On the
other hand, sometimes the first column is noticeably smaller, for
example f18. The files are all new, not updated. They were pulled
almost in the sequence above, I just removed some dir entries in the
middle.

Are the logged %b entries being used by parts of different files,
particularly for the small ones? I've never noticed this with earlier
versions and since the apostrophes are a new feature I'm reporting it,
just in case.