Nice little performance improvement

Darryl Dixon - Winterhouse Consulting darryl.dixon at winterhouseconsulting.com
Sat Oct 17 19:44:41 MDT 2009

> Hi,
>
>> In order to expeditiously move these new files offsite, we use a
>> modified
>> version of pyinotify to log all added/altered files across the entire
>> filesystem(s) and then every five minutes feed the list to rsync with
>> the
>> --files-from option. This works very effectively and quickly.
>
> Interesting...
>
> How do you tell rsync to delete files that were deleted from the source,
> or is that not part of your use case?

For us, that is not a necessary part of our use-case. It would certainly
however be possible to capture the delete events and remove the files with
some other helper script, rather than use rsync directly (rsync doesn't
give any advantage in that scenario except to be able to re-use the
existing network transport mechanism).

regards,
Darryl Dixon
Winterhouse Consulting Ltd