Daemon tests broken when running as root

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Nov 12 22:11:55 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 23:56 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> Ah.  You ran the testsuite as root, and the daemon tests are not set up
> to cope with that.  The testsuite should pass if you run it as an
> unprivileged user.

The breakage was introduced in commit
7f367bb1b4348ba1edb863ee13f8281471785e09 , which added support for
supplementary groups.  It also made the daemon attempt to honor "uid"
and "gid" parameters even if not root and abort the run upon failure.

I'm guessing the "uid = 0" and "gid = 0" in the test daemon
configuration were disabled so that the daemon tests could run for
unprivileged users.  But that breaks running as root, because the daemon
drops privileges to "nobody".  The proper fix is to emit the "uid" and
"gid" parameters only when running as root.

--
Matt