Almost desperate on rsync from macbook to NAS

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Tue Nov 3 19:55:04 MST 2009

> rsync -ahzv --delete --progress --numeric-ids --ignore-errors
> "/Users/bonny/Music/iTunes Music"
> "rsync://root@192.168.1.100/musica/iTunes Music"

I am guessing that your iTunes Music folder is well 50MB. As such,
testing with a smaller directory will reduce the time it takes for
rsync to run. It will also allow you to use the verbose options while
keeping the output to a minimum.

So, why not setup a test environment? Make a test directory on your
MacBook (eg: /tmp/mytestsrc) and also create a test destination
directory on the NAS.

Next, make some directories within the source test directory on your
MacBook. Then, manually populate these source directories with some
test files. Finally, try to copy the test source directory over to
your NAS device using rsync. If this initial sync works, then I
suggest that you remove some items to the test source directory, run
rsync a second time and check the results are as you expect.

If you are not able to get this test case working, then post the
command and output from the rsync command to the list. Hopefully
someone will be able to assist you with why it is not working.

I would also suggest that you add the option "-vvv" when you run rsync
so you are provided with more feed back while rsync is running. Hence
the test setup.

Finally, I recommend that once you are able to see the files changing,
that you use "ls -l" to check the ownership, timestamps and
permissions are being transferred correctly.

Hope this helps.

---
This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution : http://www.lbackup.org