exit status 13 in version 3.1

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Nov 3 19:26:57 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 12:25 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 13:20 -0200, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> > Got this in the log:
> >
> > rsync error: errors with program diagnostics (code 13) at log.c(340) [generator=
> > 3.1.0dev]
>
> I got this too on a big local run backing up my system to an external
> disk using rsnapshot.

It looks like I was just out of disk space, but the "No space left on
device" message was not making it through the pipeline.  I reproduced
this with a single file and a small reiserfs image:

$ rsync-dev big-file small-fs/
rsync error: errors with program diagnostics (code 13) at log.c(340) [sender=3.1.0dev]

$ rsync-dev --msgs2stderr big-file small-fs/
rsync: write failed on "/PATH-TO/small-fs/big-file": No space left on device (28)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(334) [receiver=3.1.0dev]
rsync error: errors with program diagnostics (code 13) at log.c(340) [sender=3.1.0dev]
rsync error: received SIGUSR1 (code 19) at main.c(1387) [generator=3.1.0dev]

Since I'm doing a local run, I can probably use --msgs2stderr for now.

--
Matt