Rsync Over SSH (Windows XP)

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Wed Mar 18 17:29:16 GMT 2009

I'm using BackupPC on a Linux server to back up MacWinLin clients, all
using rsync (tho not over ssh).  I use the cygwin rsync client, but
in setting it up, I did try DeltaCopy, which is a GPL'ed
Windows-native, GUI version of rsync:
<http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp>

I didn't use it due to other issues but it seemed to work OK.  The
rsync experts here may have more to day about it.

YMMV
Best harry

<david at overtons.id.au> wrote:
> > Hi Henri,
> >
> > 2009/3/14 henri <henri at stmargarets.school.nz>:
> >> In essence I would like to determine if rsync a good choice when
> >> it comes to the backup of files on a Windows XP machine?
> >>
> >> Suggestions such as the following will all be warmly welcomed :
> >>
> >> (1) Do not run rsync over ssh, keep it simple.
> >> (2) Do not use rsync on Windows XP.
> >> (3) Try xyz commercial solution/service instead, it works great!
> >> (4) Use xyz open source solution it is fantastic!
> >> (4) It works but it is difficult, prepare your self for
> >> punishment. (5) No problem, just follow these instructions you
> >> will be running in 1 day. (6) It works, just make sure you
> >> install the xyz patch. (7) Not enough information, it depends on
> >> various other factors. ...etc
> >>

> >> I am aware that there is the popular "Cygwin" project which
> >> provides a super simple way of installing both rsync and OpenSSH
> >> on Windows systems.
> >
> > There's no "native" port of rsync on Windows so using the Cygwin
> > port is the way to go.  If you don't want a full Cygwin
> > installation there is an excellent package called cwRsync which
> > contains just what you need at
> > http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/10650.  The same site provides an
> > OpenSSH package called CopSSH which is designed to work well with
> > cwRsync.  Both packages come with Windows-style installers that
> > set up the SSH/rsync daemons as Windows services.
> >
> > If you want a commercial backup solution, you might be interested
> > in BackupAssist (www.backupassist.com) which now supports backup
> > via rsync as well as other methods.  (Disclaimer: I work for the
> > company that develops BackupAssist.)  BackupAssist provides
> > various pre-defined schemes for regular scheduled backups with
> > history.  No need to fiddle around with scripts and rsync
> > options, just enter your server details, select a scheme then
> > select which files/directories you want to backup. There's a 30
> > day free trial period if you want to try it out.
> >
> > Other features:
> > - Supports rsync daemon, rsync over ssh, and rsync daemon via ssh
> > tunnel - Backup history uses hard links for files that haven't
> > changed between backups, similar to rsnapshot.  (Our marketing
> > department calls this "single instance store".)
> > - Support for Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS) for Windows 2003
> > and later (not XP unfortunately).
> >
> > I hope this doesn't sound too much like an ad, but you did ask
> > about commercial solutions.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > David
> > --
> > Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the

Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,
UC Irvine 92697  949 824-0084(o), 949 285-4487(c)
---
Good judgment comes from experience;
Experience comes from bad judgment. [F. Brooks.]