remove-source-files checking for open files?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Wed Jun 3 19:23:48 GMT 2009

On 3. juni. 2009, at 19.31, Paul Slootman wrote:

> On Wed 03 Jun 2009, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> On 3. juni. 2009, at 18.16, Paul Slootman wrote:
>>>
>>> Because checking whether a process has a file open can be very
>>> costly
>>> in
>>> system resources.
>>

>> Not really. I'm writing some code doing this now. It will be Linux
>
> Well, it's not something to do lightly...
>
>> specific, but it will be fairly quick. Traversing /proc/pid/fd in
>> search
>> for symlinks to your file isn't really that bad. I'll post the code
>> when
>
> This also only works if you own the process keeping the file open,
> or if
> you're the superuser.

The code I'm writing only checks for its own UID unless UID == 0

>> I'm done with it.
>
> The linux-specific thing is also a reason why I suspect it won't
> become
> part of rsync.

I guess others will be able to port the code to other platforms if it
seems to work. Having more features for one OS and "pending" for
others won't really hurt the project

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685 / 98013356
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å