Assistance With "Symlink Has No Referent" Message

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Tue Jul 14 14:59:23 MDT 2009

Jon Watson (jwatson at watsysgroup.com) wrote on 14 July 2009 17:17:
 >I am using rsync to backup one server to another. I am connecting to the
 >rsync daemon on the remote server and pulling to the backup server. When
 >using SSH this error does not occur, but there are reasons why I have to
 >use rsync directly.

 >The problem I am having is that some of the symlinks on the remote
 >machine will not copy. I am attempting to copy their referent by using
 >the -L option, but I always receive the subject error despite the fact
 >that the referent does actually exist.

 >My rsyncd.conf file has uid = root and gid = nobody for this path.

Even though the daemon runs as root, there may have been a chroot
before. In other words, the process that is launched by ssh may not
have the same view of the filesystem that the one coming from the
rsync daemon.

You might be able to do an experiment launching a daemon directly from
the command line as root listening in another port and see if this
instance finds the referent.