Listing Changed Files Without Two Copies?

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Tue Jul 7 00:50:49 GMT 2009

> > What I am curious about is if there is a way to achieve this without
> > maintaining two copies of the files. Is there any way to run rsync
> > against a fileset where rsync will produce a checksum or something
> for
> > those files and can then later determine what files have changed
> without
> > maintaining a second copy of those files?
> >
> > I realize rsync is primarily a backup tool (and a great one!) and
> this
> > probably falls outside of its purview.
>
> man md5sum
>
> Initially (With filenames that (may) contain spaces):
> find * -type f -printf %p\\0 | xargs -0 md5sum > md5
>
> Without filenames that contain spaces it's a little shorter:
> find * -type f | xargs md5sum > md5
>
> Then you have a file with an md5sum of all files
>
> And to later check what files have changed:
> md5sum -c md5
>
> That's it.

You may also be interested in fingerprint :

http://connect.homeunix.com/lbackup/developer/data_verification

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution :
http://www.lucidsystems.org/tools/lbackup

LBackup is fully compatible with LINUX and Mac OS X based systems.
In addition you are free to customize it to meet your requirements
via pre and post hook scripts. Alternatively you may edit the source
code which is included with every download of LBackup.