Listing Changed Files Without Two Copies?

Jon Watson jwatson at watsysgroup.com
Fri Jul 3 21:06:13 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I am aware that rsync can be run to just list the files that have
changed between the source and destination. I would like to capitalize
on that feature to monitor some development that is going on in order to
get a complete list of files that have been changed on a server.

I realize that I can create an initial rsync of the files to some other
location and then sometime later run rsync in list only mode against
that initial repository to find out what files have changed.

I also realize that there are revisioning tools out there but they are
complete overkill for this particular issue.

What I am curious about is if there is a way to achieve this without
maintaining two copies of the files. Is there any way to run rsync
against a fileset where rsync will produce a checksum or something for
those files and can then later determine what files have changed without
maintaining a second copy of those files?

I realize rsync is primarily a backup tool (and a great one!) and this
probably falls outside of its purview.

Any tips/tricks are welcome.

Thanks,

Jon