installing rsync-3-0-5 on a Mac

Mike Bombich mike at bombich.com
Wed Feb 25 20:42:40 GMT 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Rob Rye wrote:

> The following note never went through yesterday for some reason:
>
> You probably know all of this already, but for those not familiar with
>    the mysteries of the Unix side of the Mac OS X, allow me to comment
>    here:
>

>    Assuming /usr/local/bin is in your $PATH (otherwise you must add it
>    first), there are at least two solutions to the path problem, in
> which
>    rsync 2.6.9 (in /usr/bin) is in front of rsync 3.0.5 (in /usr/
> local/bin)
>
>    1: rename /usr/bin/rsync to /usr/bin/rsync269, so that if you
> should
>    ever want to downgrade, you just have to change the name back to /
> usr/
>    bin/rsync and away you go.

I don't think I'd advise this in general.  If someone else has an
application or script that expects the Apple-shipping version of
rsync, those apps or scripts will break.  Apple's version and version
3 have different arguments (-E specifically conflicts).  It's probably
best -- in general -- to update your $PATH or, even better, explicitly
indicate a custom $PATH in any scripts that you write to include /usr/
local/bin.

This method also avoids any issues with OS updates reinstalling/
updating the built-in rsync.

Mike