rsync over samba permissions problem

reader4 brace at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 18 18:05:07 GMT 2009

I have found several posts related to this problem, but can't find a good
answer... hopefully someone here can help.  I am trying to backup my
/home/user directory to /mnt/backup, which is a CIFS mount owned by 'user'.
However, when I run "sudo rsnapshot hourly" (rsync), all of the directories
come back with

"rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/backup/hourly.0/home/user/...":
Permission denied (13)"

The files are transferred properly with the correct permissions, but the
directories all carry today's timestamp.  What's going on?