uid/gid settings in rsyncd.conf not respected?

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Feb 13 09:20:29 GMT 2009

On Thu 12 Feb 2009, Harry Mangalam wrote:

> However, this does not work for the backup (rsyncd refuses to read the
> files with an entry in /var/log/rsyncd.log:
>
> auth failed on module svn from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn (
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): unauthorized user.

This message would indicate that the rsync connection to the daemon is
refused; it doesn't get as far as the files themselves. I.e. the file
permissions, uid / gid / etc aren't in the picture at all.

As you have an "auth users = " line, you're doing something wrong while
connecting... please show the command lines you run.

Paul