How do I make rsync ignore unreadable files (damaged sectors)?

Stefan Nowak p.org at gmx.at
Tue Dec 22 11:24:08 MST 2009

>> On 22.12.2009 16:39, Stefan Nowak wrote:
>>
>> The only low-budget test ideas I have:
>>
>> The CD scratching a la Tomas Gustavsson seems the only easily
>> achievable
>> solution. But then it is not sure whether the OS does the reading
>> retries
>> or whether the optical disk drive itself retries reading.
>
> On 22.12.2009 at 19:10 Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
>
> Get some Old, cheap and as small as possible USB-Sticks.
>
> Especially when they are small you should be able to reach the
> overwrite-limits relativly fast (Which may still be counted in days)
>
> Depending in model you should be able to get some interesting errors,
> maybe even total breakdowns.
> ;-)

Your suggestion, to make the destination volume (USB stick) full, will
result in write errors! If you mean "size-limit" by "overwrite-limit"
What we wanted was, how to provoke read errors, and Paul Slootman
already offered a solution for that: hdparm --make-bad-sector.
Or did you mean to write a small testfile on a flash drive, then
overwrite it multiple times (more often than the specified "overwrite
limit") by an automated loop, as long until you get the first write
error, and hence you can expect a bad sector at this file, and then
use it as a broken test source?

Now some German talk: Servas Oida! Gruesse aus Wean (Wien) ;-) Stefan
Nowak