retransfer fail of large files with inplace and broken pipe

Tom raschel at edvantice.de
Sun Dec 13 00:57:50 MST 2009

to make things more clear

1.)
first transfer is done either a initial setup or with a usb hdd to get
sender and receiver in sync.

2.)
transfer does not stop because rsync had a timeout, it stops because the dsl
line is broken (which i could see at dyndns)

3)
if dsl line is stable the transfer is successfull (which works furtunately
most of the time)

4.)
i am searching for a way to reduce the time to retransfer the file or in
other words to resume the filetransfer after a broken pipe
(e.g. if you download a 4.4 GB Centos Image it is comfortable to resume the
transfer of a 99 % transfered file instead to download all from scratch)

Tom