multiuser rsync environment

Angel Spassov anspassov at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 10 03:54:42 MST 2009

Dear List,

I am looking for a solution of the following issue.

We are two users managing our homepage through subversion
in order to synchronize each others work.
We upload everything to the server via the following command in rsync:

rsync -avzt --exclude ".svn" --exclude "*~" -e ssh .  webserver at webserver.org:/path/to/the/webpage

Everything works just fine except of one annoying issue.
rsync synchronizes everything when the person between two uploads change.

So if my colleague made the last change to the server,
the next time I am rsync-ing everything needs to be synchronized again
(which is of course expected, but still annoying).

Is there some elegant option to combine subversion + rsync in a wiser way
in order to upload only the changes with altering users?

Best,
AS